Sunday, May 17, 2009

Going to Church

Once when I was much younger and a Lutheran, I was in confirmation class. Those are classes where the early teens are taught the doctrines of the church. We studied church history, how the Lutherans began with a priest nailing a list of 97 practices of the Catholic church he found in to be un-Christ like on a church door in protest of such practices. His protest started the Protestant religions that followed. We also we taught why we did communion, why we used candles, what the Lutheran churches positions were on other churches (besides Catholics) and reasons why we should come to church.

There was cute little signs posted giving us pause to think deep thoughts.. One that made an impression on me was:

If you were on trial for being a Christian,

Would there be enough evidence to convict you?

I found that one bothersom... because when one is "on trial" one ALWAYS wishes to be found "not guilty" right? Yet this is one of those akward situations. If found guilty... what would be the punishment? I couldn't join an exclusive club?? Big deal! I would be fed to the lions.. much more problematic. If they couldn't convict me, couldn't I repent later at a safer time and live a more Christ like life? I degress.

I am no longer Lutheran. I now am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints.

I am still a follower of Jesus Christ (no matter what other churches say) and find the that the same things Rev. Hanselman taught about church goers applies to just about all church goers.

One thing he pointed out is there are those that honor the comitment to attend no matter what, there are the others that any little thing will mean "they won't be able to make it this week".

The early service is too early... Can't get all the kids ready. The late service is too late.. cuts too deep into the day. The weather is too bad... geeeze it's such a good day to do (whatever) and this is the ONLY day I can get it done...

I would like to say I am above that sort of rationing, but I am not. It is so much easier to go to church WITH someone than alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment